450g/1lb smoked haddock
1 slice onion
1 bay leaf
2 leeks, finely sliced
25g/1oz plain flour
freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE TOPPING
175g/6oz fresh white breadcrumbs
75g/3oz Lincolnshire Poacher cheese, grated
1. Place the fish in a large saucepan with the milk, onion and bay leaf. Bring to the boil and poach until just cooked - this will only take 2-3 minutes, then allow to cool. Remove from the liquid, strain and reserve the milk then remove the skin from the haddock. Gently flake the fish and lay in an ovenproof dish.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the leeks and sweat until soft. Remove from the heat and add the flour, mixing well.
3. Gradually add the reserved milk, stirring well between each addition. Return the pan to the heat and gradually bring to the boil - stirring all the time until the sauce has thickend. Simmer for 2 minutes, season with pepper.
4. Pour the sauce over the fish. Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together and sprinkle over the sauce. Place the dish on a baking tray then cook at Gas 5/180C for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
5. Serve with green vegetables or a crispy salad.