Now you may think this sounds really strange, but it works amazingly well. After all we are no strangers to carrot cake!
75g/3oz cocoa powder or powdered drinking chocolate
175g/6oz plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
250g/8oz caster sugar
250g cooked beetroot
3 large eggs
200ml corn oil
1tsp vanilla extract
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 line a 20cm (8in) round or square cake tin. Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a bowl. Mix in the sugar, and set these dry ingredients aside.
2. Purée the beetroot in a food processor.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and oil, and whizz until it is smooth. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the beetroot mixture and mix it all lightly. Pour into the prepared cake tin.
4. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean (cover with a loose sheet of foil if it starts to brown at about 30 minutes).
5. This cake will not rise a great deal, and the top will crack. After removing from the oven, leave it for 15 minutes before taking it out of the pan. Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar before serving. Or you could make a chocolate or orange butter cream for the top.