Chef Rachel Green is the Select Lincolnshire Champion and demonstrates at many of our events. A Lincolnshire farmer's daughter, Rachel had 20 years as a chef before developing a TV career.
Try this tasty recipe and see more at the local kitchen tv web site - localkitchen.tv
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 50 minutes - 1 hour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed and sliced
- 2 leeks, washed, cut into rings and well rinsed
- 1/2 mild chili, deseeded and finely diced or a pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1 spring fresh thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, plus extra
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 175g/6oz green lentils, washed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1.75/3pt rich home-made Golden Turkey stock or vegetable
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 175g/6oz cooked/roasted Golden Turkey, diced
- Handful kale, cabbage or spinach, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan, add the onion, carrots, butternut squash, celery and leeks. Toss thoroughly through the oil and brown very slightly. Turn the heat down and add the chilli, thyme, paprika, cumin, coriander, lentils and garlic.
- Cook for a further 30 seconds, add the stock and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer then cover with a lid and cook as gently as possible for 40 minutes. Add the turkey and kale or cabbage or spinach. Cook for a further 10 minutes then taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Just before serving, poach the eggs to preference and stir the parsley into the soup.
- To serve, ladle the soup into warm bowls, top each with a poached egg and sprinkle with a little smoked paprika. Serve with crusty bread, if liked.